Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Hilton Head Sketches

Went on vacation in Hilton from the 1-11. I haven't had a vacation that long since my honeymoon 17 yrs ago! Boy was it nice to have a few extra days.With that said, I packed light for the trip. Clothes for the family in similar colors to have a washer load and well we planned on living in our bathing suits a lot. Everyone had flip flops and one pair of sandals, snacks and of course my electronic gadgets.
Sketching material- that too was light. I guess with age and experience I am learning what I really use what I don't. Also this time I didn't feel as if I let myself down by NOT using this or that material that I brought. Maybe the beach readers have similar feelings when they have a bag full of reading material and only get through one or two...What I did pack was my current Moleskin sketchbook, my small watercolor box, a water pen, 2 micron pens(.05 and .03) then my still current fave-XF Pitt pen. All the pens fit in a small bag then which I could fit it and the sketchbook in a freezer bag for protection from sand, water, wet towels,snacks... Oh I through in my suitcase the last minute a watercolor pad which I never used.As you see I had this hope of using watercolor. Not something I am comfortable with. I have the vision of what I want it to look like but struggle with achieving 'the look' I am after. I often want to get in there with my pen and can't leave it alone. It looks unfinished when I don't do it. Yet I see others that inspire me and well...as you see I quickly went to my favorite XF artist pen. I finally attempted some people too.

What I ended up with....
Tried to keep loose and suggestive.





At first I avoided doing people. Knowing the only way to get better is to do it...I began to try a few here and there. Sometime I swear it is my attitude I have in my head about it that makes it turn out better one time than another.


I had done the palm trees first at the pool the day before.I add the lady from the beach the next day to fill the page space. I started this quickly as we sat eating ice cream at the marina. With that quick start to get something down, I miss judged my size and didn't have near the room for this boat. The boat WAS a biggie though!

Again I struggled with this light house. I did like how the windows are going. I got to hot and discouraged so I wrapped it up. I do hope to come back to it and finish it from some photos I took.
These pool side chairs I added as the days went by. we tended to sit on the same side of the pool. I did one before a rain and then the next day...added 2 more the third day and another and some pool things to complete the page.



Over and over I had to remind myself not to sweat it, just be loose.All week I did keep in my thoughts to keep it loose and flowing suggestive lines. I returned to the great images in the Danny Gregory book of assorted sketchbook artist and those I love to visit here on the net.


Most of it I am happy with. But most to have these as part of my vacation memories.

11 comments:

nanke's stuff said...

Great sketches! I think you did a wonderful job on the people, too. You're (like many of us) very hard on yourself ... lighten up!!! lol nancy

Carol said...

What are you talking about? Your people look great as well as the rest of your sketches! It looks like you had a great vacation LUCKY:)

Alex said...

Beautiful sketches ^^ Excellent work on capturing the details of the people, and they're very lively, and seemed like they all have some stories to tell.

Shirley said...

These are absolutely wonderful - great memories of the time spent quietly relaxing and staying loose!

Unknown said...

Thanks everyon for your support. Vacations are so good on our souls huh. i feel very fortunate to have been able to have one. Especially as summer approached we were looking at the chance of my son having brain surgory for epillepsy. But with that undercontrol...vaction was booked!
Still tips on inking faces with actual detail instead of suggestive would be helpful. Mine end up so old looking!
AGAIN-Thanks for stopping!

Lynn said...

What a fabulous record of your holiday. These sketches are all wonderful.

Unknown said...

Thanks Lynn, I am SO glad I took the time to do some. It doesn't take time away from your family like one might think.

Dan Kent said...

I like your travel sketches a lot! The beach scenes especially. Your words about the "attitude in the head" for people drawing is true for me too. But then it's probably true for everything. Great job.

Anonymous said...

You should NOT avoid drawing people!! These are terrific drawings!

Peachtreeart said...

Adorable sketches from the kids and yours are remarkable!

Unknown said...

Thanks peachtree. i am so proud of the kids and what a hit it all was!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...