Monday, May 9, 2011

Gel Pens and Words of Courage

 

Zachary's courage journal I began at the Rehabilitation Center

 Working on the kids memory verse for the week, Psalms 121, it would be great  I thought to add to Zachary's courage journal I started while in the rehabilitation center.
In the evening as Zachary went to sleep early from a long day and hard work, I found relief from the stress by making this journal. I used gel pens for my back grounds and accents. Cards would come in with words of encouragement and reference to scripture.Thinking it would be nice to put many of them in a small journal to have handy for times of struggle and needed reflection.






Part of his hospital bracelet lid into the page also
These hearts and starts were cut from magazines ,glued with an acid free glue stick and accented with gel pens and the Pitt Artist pen to tie some black into the word color.



A page waiting for more verse

I would get caught up in laying some gel pen colors down and while still wet, I run my finger across them to blend them out.I really like the soft but vibrant color this lays down. Making random strokes going up and around the page,what ever feels good to me.
Gel pens can take a moment to dry so be aware of that as you move your hand around on the paper.
I am still experimenting to find some thing that might re-wet them once they are down to move even more.  I will let you know if that leads to anything.
This is the Front and Back Cover
Journal was made from Wausaus Exact Index 140# paper.
Hand sewn together. It measures 4.25 x 5.5

After I get most of the smugging done ,adding lines and dots over top.Click on image to see close up.
Writing the encouraging words and scripture right over top with a  Pitt Artist pen xf.

If you want to see more examples I have using  gel pens click over to Vegas Travel Journal

Have you made journals or art that has helped you get through a difficult day or time. Comment here and share with us and I will send you a blank journal.

4 comments:

Alex said...

Simply love the colors!

Unknown said...

Thanks, I too have to say the colors are what I love. i just never really have used them much.

Ann said...

This is a really nice project and I hope it leads to lots of healing. That sounds like a great technique with gel pens too!

Timaree said...

Nice pages. I hope your son is fine now. When my husband was hospitalized, I painted in a journal and even did some collage while waiting during his surgery. Just sitting, the time passes so slowly yet it's hard to concentrate on much beyond the person you are with at the moment. Smears of gel pens is a new one to me but it made a pretty page for the verses.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...